Saturday, September 1, 2012

Am I Really Starting Over?

September 1, 2012

Starting over. Is it really possible? Aren't I taking all the same old baggage with me on whatever new path I embark on? Is it possible to leave the bags in a storage locker and free myself from the weight of the past?

I'll always be an accountant. It's just how I see things. I look at the value of an item. I always have. I can't make the shift and see a "cherry yogurt" as just a plain old "cherry yogurt". For me...it always is a cherry yogurt I got on sale for $1.

I'll always carry the lessons from previous relationships and friendships. The good, the bad, and the ugly.

My parents voices will forever ring in my head. What I'm doing right. What I'm doing wrong.

I will always remember people's criticisms of what I do. I remember the criticisms far more often than any praise.

I'll always be afraid of failure.

And yet, I am embarking on a journey where I can't be an accountant anymore. I have to forget about all the lessons I've learned in the past as it's not fair to put a broad brush stroke on present and future endeavors. My parents fears for my life can no longer influence me. And most importantly...I need to brush off criticisms and not be afraid to fail on this new path.

How does anyone ever start over?

No comments:

Post a Comment