Wednesday, September 5, 2012

An Alternate Universe

September 5, 2012

Topic suggested by: Jay Jadofsky...the positive effects of being a popular, well known KISS fan

OK...this is a funny topic. At least to me. But in thinking about it for a few hours, I keep recalling countless instances where being associated to KISS has enriched my life. I could probably write a book on the subject...not just a post. But I'll start with a post.

When Carol and I first went to a KISS concert together, my life forever changed. Our first show, we wore costumes (or what I perceived to be costumes). They were on a very amateur level. I hadn't caught the KISS bug yet (although I always enjoyed the music). I did say yet, right.

OK. How great is a KISS show? I mean, it's a production. There's blood. There's levitation. There's smoke. There's fire. And confetti. Lots and lots of confetti. From that day forward, I was obsessed.

Before our 3rd show together, Carol and I decided to take the costume thing to the next level. Costumes, signs, props. We had it all for our 3rd show. And that's where other people started to take notice of what we were doing.

Our 3rd and 4th shows were on a holiday weekend. We flew up to Northern California to see KISS. On the way to the airport...we came up with a name for ourselves...The KISS Army Vixens and created a MySpace page. In less than 48 hours we had over 1000 friends. I guess we got popular pretty quick.

Since we started this...my sewing skills and creativity has grown exponentially. I started viewing myself as not what I did for a living, but what I did for fun. I got over being shy (for the most part) and was able to talk to people. All people. I started writing. I started fantasizing. I had the courage to make some fantasies reality.

I also believe that the positive effects transcended outside myself. I use the KISS Army Vixen thing to do good. To help with Veterans causes dear to my heart. I've made friends with other KISS fans around the world. There is no doubt that creating the KISS Army Vixens deepened the friendship with me and Carol.

Being known in the KISS community means I have extended my inner circle. I have grown, thanks to all of the people that I have met along this journey. For all of this...I am incredibly grateful and very blessed.

And thank you Jay.

No comments:

Post a Comment