Thursday, August 30, 2012

An Ill Conceived Thank You To A Past Relationship

August 30, 2012

I was going through a "tapping creativity" exercise and got to a section that talked about writing "fan letters" to those individuals who have influenced your life. One person changed my life in many ways...without who I wouldn't be the person I am today. This is my feeble attempt at saying thank you.

Our first interaction was uneventful. Let's be honest, you were too enthusiastic for me. I had no interest in meeting you...or communicating with you in any way.

Seven months later...on a whim...I met you for lunch. No fireworks, no passion, but just a nice conversation between two new friends. You bought me a book..."The Alchemist"...and I left for a 3 week adventure to Hawaii. It was then when I was alone in Hawaii...thousands of miles away...that you influenced me, changed me, grew me, and became entirely necessary in my world.

How can I ever thank you for opening up my mind. I never thought about my spirituality...about what I believed. Even though, in the end, we chose different spiritual paths I have to thank you for opening my mind to there actually being a path. I'm kinder, more compassionate, and more aware than I have ever been thanks to your influence.

My creativity blossomed under your tutelage. I learned how to notice the small things. I see colors differently. Fabrics too. I'm certain KISS Army Vixens would not have existed...or would most definitely have manifested differently. Heck, I wouldn't have even attempted to do all that I have done if it weren't for the time we spent together.

There was love and passion, kindness and gentleness. And there were dreams. Dreams of travel, of making a difference, of leaving a legacy. I still carry those dreams with me today and hope that I am...in fact...still wandering on a path that leads in that same direction.

Our fights, the disagreements, the tears...the pain...those horrible moments taught me the most invaluable lessons of all...it brought forth my shortcomings. I know I am less angry and far more at peace today because of all of the difficult times we endured.

You changed my life, you changed my world. You changed my geography. I might never have left my little corner of the world if it wasn't for you. Thank you for giving me an opportunity to thrive under new circumstances.

And mostly, thank you for leaving. Thank you for not staying when you wanted to leave. It was time to say goodbye. Thank you for closing the book and giving me an opportunity to write a new one.

I will forever be your fan. May your best days be ahead of you and may your new path sparkle in the moonlight. Wherever you travel and whatever you see...please take any positivity we shared with you on your journey.





No comments:

Post a Comment